News – July 2011
- Lacanian psychoanalyst Darian Leader on Anders Behring Breivik and the logic of madness: http://bit.ly/mZ5M4a
- Registration is now open for the VIII Congress of the World Association of Psychoanalysis, which takes place from 23rd – 27th April 2012 in Buenos Aires. The theme is ‘The Symbolic Order in the 21st Century’: http://bit.ly/o9Cv3Z
- The Freud Museum London is offering its talks on Freud’s life and works to download as podcasts (for free): http://bit.ly/dHPMUh. Cohen’s talk ‘Freud on Coke’ is particularly enjoyable, if strangely edited.
- RIP Hanna Segal: http://bit.ly/qBRz58
- Full text of Jacques-Alain Miller’s address to the NLS Congress 2011, on next year’s topic, ‘Reading the Symptom’:http://t.co/Pk8W8FL. Miller offers an interesting perspective on the symptom as a fractal object, a ceaseless reiteration, with addiction as the purest example. A nice excerpt: “The discipline of reading targets the materiality of writing, i.e. the letter in so far as it produces the event of jouissance that is decisive for the formation of symptoms. Knowing how to read targets this initial shock, which stands as something like a clinamen of jouissance…. Interpretation as knowing how to read aims at reducing the symptom to its initial formula, i.e., the material encounter between a signifier and the body, the pure shock of language on the body.”
- Bernard Burgoyne’s book ‘Neighbourhoods of Love’, exploring topology and psychoanalysis, finally gets a confirmed release date in October 2011: http://bit.ly/n2eAk0. This one looks very exciting.
- Darian Leader’s ‘What is Madness’ is also due out in October: http://t.co/T1TqHrS. As a taster, here’s a video interview with The Guardian newspaper: http://t.co/4nPh76s. You can also find an excerpt from the book here – http://bit.ly/mOKAbz – and the transcript of a conversation with author Hanif Kureishi at a recent Freud Museum event here: http://bit.ly/oy87pZ
- The Freud Museum in London will be holding an open day on 28th July. Free admission, tours of the house, mini talks and displays of archive material: http://t.co/eXexjT4
- Video of the Democracy Now event with Slavoj Zizek and Julian Assange, London, 2nd July 2011: http://t.co/1MOzS0O